Skip to main content
Friday, 24 de November 2017

Heritage and Culture

Heritage and Culture

Heritage and Culture

Heritage and Culture

There are many monuments and buildings that we can find in each  parish of Sanxenxo, each of them contains part of the municipality history . There are numerous churches and chapels, as well as cottages and noble houses, or buildings such ;  water mills, granaries, sinks or high crosses…

Amongst  all them stand out: 

Sanxenxo

Church of San Xines: formerly located at the place of Aldariz,  moved about 1670 to the town of Sanxenxo. The style is known as "marine style" characteristic of the mendicant orders of the  XIV century. The floor of the building is rectangular, with an apse narrower than the nave, carrying two chapels on the sides who forms the cross arms: the chapels of San José (1688) and the Purification (1710).  In the facade is exhibited in the present the Virgen del Carmen the aura has  a scallop shape. Above we can see a rose and a simple cross of stone. In this temple is venerated the Virgen del Carmen, San Xines and Santa Rosalia of Palermo ( lawyer against the plague, represented in wood).

Pazo de los Duques de Patiño: this is a urban manor. It´s said that a part in another time was a tower that subsequent  arrangements evolved into a beautiful manor  of the  XVIII century. Between the large windows you can see a blazon with crown. There are others successful decorative elements as pyramidal pinnacles that have ennobled the central courtyard formed by the main facades, the chapel and a stone wall with railing doors. The Patino family retains the manor property today and is closed to the public.

New  Church: this church began to be built in 1965 and the building was completed in 1976. It is characterized by having a hexagonal covered by a roof in the form of stepped pyramid. The construction costs were paid by collections, individual donations and events held at the Yacht Club and in the La Terraza since 1961.

Sculpture "Aviador Pineiro": Sculpture made by Alfonso Vilar in 1,970 . Important person in  Sanxenxo and first Galician aviator. José Piñeiro González born in Ferrol in 1878. The first time he saw a plane was in the Pilgrim festival (Pontevedra) in 1911. The acrobatics performed where so surprised that he did not hesitate to sell his businesses,  go to the French town of Pau and learn the domain of the aircraft (he was there 18 days).  Arrived to amaze the director and returned to Sanxenxo. The arrival to Sanxenxo was tremendous and after jumping the news to the Galician press, Sanxenxo becomes the center of attraction for people who are curious about the flights on the beach of Baltar. He was very famous for "the seagull flight" that was in touch with the wings of the plane the surface of the sea. His last exhibition was in 1921 in the festival of Ribadavia, during which he suffered an accident. Although this was not the first accident, this time his family successfully persuade him to leave the flight. After this, fixed his residence in Sanxenxo, where he is elected mayor. A few years later by the studies of his son he moved to Santiago, where he died in 1927.

Sculpture "Madama de Silgar": 1,995 donated by the sculptor Alfonso Vilar, born in Vilalonga, located in the Corbeiro stone  (Silgar Beach).  The sculpture is inspired by Celtic mythology and symbolizes the beauty of the sea. In the head has a form of "horns" in "V"  that represents the initial of the last name of the sculptor.

Sculpture " Atlante" : Sculpture of Francisco Leiro and located in the Plaza do Mar ( Sea Square)  on August  of  2,005 . Bronze sculpture that weighs 20,000 kilograms and measured 14 meters. This  represents a God who lived in the depths of the Atlantic Ocean, according to the Greek mythology.

Portonovo:

Chapel of Santa Catalina : simple small chapel of a single rectangular nave situated in the old town. Is dedicated to Santa Catalina, patron saint of the village of Portonovo, the sailors feel great devotion for her.

Sculpture " APeixeira" (Fisherwoman): dedicated to the women who sold in the fischmarket what their men bring from the sea. From there we have a great panoramic view of the Pontevedra estuary and the small beach of Caneliñas.

VILALONGA:

Church of San Pedro de Vilalonga: Dates from the  XVIII century, has a single nave divided into a sectional cruise. On its facade is a bell tower of baroque style.

Pazo de Revel: This manor is located next to the manor of the Pardo. It consists of two buildings constructed in different eras, the oldest from the  XVI century. Over the years it was converted to a hotel.

Pazo de  Pardo: This manor dates from the  XVI century, it is a building of two floors in the form of "U".  The manor includes a granary and a chapel in the neoclassical style.

Chapel of Santo Tomé: small chapel of the XVII century, of a single rectangular nave, is located at the top of a hill in the place of Gondar.

PARISH OF ADINA:

Church of Santa Maria de Adina: Temple built on another romanesque of the year 1,170 of which are kept the walls and the roof overhang. The chapel is from the  XVI century and has a vault.

PARISH OF DORRÓN: 

Church of San Juan de Dorron: built in 1,764 on the remains of a romanesque church, of which are currently preserved the walls and eaves of the nave. Inside, a baroque altarpiece of the 1,775 and retains a romanesque baptismal font.

Pazo de Bermúdez de la Maza: Manor builded in the XV century with plant in the form of "L", and a basement floor. There are still remains of a tower when the building had medieval structure. It contains a granary with ten pillars.

Castro de Dorrón: this is a fortified settlement that belongs to the iron age (centuries III b.c. - I a.c.)

 

PARISH OF BORDÓNS:

Church of San Pedro de Bordons: Chapel of the  XVIII century, of a single rectangular nave divided into three sections with external buttresses. Inside the temple there is a romanesque baptismal font.

PARISH OF NANTES:

Church of Santa Eulalia de Nantes: was built in 1,965 on the remains of a romanesque temple. The chapel  has a single nave.

Chapel O Santo:  XVI century with a single rectangular nave. In its principal facade it has a shield depicting  oxen that symbolize those who contributed the abbot of Nantes to facilitate its construction.

Pazo de La Maza: Manor  located in the valley of Santa Eulalia. Built in the  XVI century, in the garden is  a granary with seven pairs of pillars.

PARISH OF NOALLA:

Church of San Estevo de Noalla: Its privileged situation gives a magnificent view of the Pontevedra estuary. Preserved romanesque remains, although the bell  tower is added in the  XVIII century.

Chapel of Nosa Señora da Lanzada: The temple is of late romanesque style of the XII century, in its construction were used stones of an older chapel. In the center of the nave of the chapel is suspended from the ceiling a thumbnail of a boat, represents the gratitude for the protection offered to  the sailors. Also in this area are still remains of a medieval fortress of the  X century, raised by the Bishop of Iria Flavia Sisnando II to defend the land of Santiago of the invading Arabs and Normans.

Archaeological remains of A Lanzada: In this place is a necropolis and a fortified settlement  whose excavations began in the fifties. The fortified settlement is from the VIII century b.c. , while the tombs found in the necropolis correspond to the  III - IV century a.c.

Pazo de Quintans: Manor built in the XVII century, is a building with a plant in the form of "L".  Surrounded by a magnificent wall of worked granite,  other items of interest are a chapel of the XVII century and a large granary.

Chapel of San Juan de Aios: Small construction of  XVIII – XIX century of a single rectangular nave.

PARISH OF PADRIÑÁN:

Pazo de Padrinan o Vicerey: Manor dating back to the first half of the  XVIII century. With rectangular building and a bell tower in the baroque style. There is a legend that says that a neighbor of Padriñan was to Pontevedra to buy salt and finished with Hernán Cortés to conquer Mexico, on his return he built this manor who took the name of Viceroy.

 

Pazo de Miraflores: Manor built in the XVIII century, although it includes a tower of the XVII century. The manor was acquired by the  Pardo Bazán family and there spent the summers of his childhood the Galician writer Miss Emilia Pardo Bazán.